Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Long Post! I think it's worth your time though... #MightBeBiased

So do you ever have one of those moments where God kind of smacks you in the face to get your attention?  Today I had one of those moments…  I probably need more of them to be honest with you…  I don’t know why I think I can do things better on my own – or why I even think that I need to.

The last few weeks… months… have been very “challenging” at work.  Several months ago I took a new position within my same organization that I wasn’t sure that I really wanted BUT it is where I felt God truly wanted me to be.  Now I am being pulled to an area of responsibility that I really don’t want but I am trying to keep an open mind about things and trying hard to figure out what it is God wants me to do and why he wants me there.  I worry a lot…  A LOT…  And I know that I have no control and I shouldn’t worry but I do it anyway.

My coworker sends me the Word of the Day every day and I don’t always read it.  I think that I don’t have time.  Really?  How dumb is that?  It takes two minutes out of my day and I always feel so much better after I read it.  Most of the time it is like God is watching me and knows exactly what I need to hear at that moment and still I don’t always read it.  I need help (which, if I would open that e-mail, I would have!!)

Okay so today’s e-mail caught my attention because the subject was, “STOP TRYING TO CONTROL EVERYTHING.”  Seriously, in all caps just like that!  It definitely got my attention and I opened it and read it right away.

This is what it said: 

             STOP TRYING TO CONTROL EVERYTHING '...
   '...A man of two minds [is]...unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything...'
James 1:8

Do you have a compulsive need to find a solution to every problem, and to control everything? Do you always have a back-up plan in case things don't go the way you think they should? Have you noticed that the more you try to 'fix' things, the more anxiety you experience?

The Bible says, 'The mind of the flesh [...sense and reason...] is death...But the mind of the...Spirit is life...' (Romans 8:6 AMP). 'Fixing' is the opposite of 'trusting.' Now God doesn't want you to be mindless or helpless, He just wants you to live by faith and not head knowledge.

When you learn to trust God and operate in 'the mind of the Spirit,' you experience peace even when you're surrounded by tough circumstances. One of the pitfalls of human reasoning is that it causes you to become double minded and stuck: 'A man of two minds [is] unstable and unreliable and uncertain about
everything.'

What frame of mind do you live in? Instead of always trying to figure everything out, learn to be comfortable not knowing and trust the One who does. Decide that each time you feel anxious you'll stop and pray: 'Lord, I'm not going to try to figure this out myself, I'm bringing it to You, trusting You for the answer.'

When you stop struggling with the when's, where's, whys and how's, you start experiencing God's peace in a way you never have before. You also put yourself in a position where God can intervene on your behalf. So stop trying to control everything.
Immediately after I read it, I sent an e-mail back to my coworker telling her thank you because I really needed this today.  The next thing I did was made this (and forwarded a copy to my coworker so that she could have one too.)

It started an e-mail conversation that really made me think as I continued to work.  Basically it went something like this:
Me:  Look what I made as a reminder to myself!

G:  LOVE IT!  Wish I could make it a poster!  LOL!

Me:  I need it tattooed on my arm - LOL!!  Not sure why I always think I can do it better - guess I just figure that God is busy and my little problems are not important enough so they will be at the bottom of his To Do list!! 



I need to realize that His To Do list has everyone's problems at the same level and He is much more efficient than I am!!!!


Do you have issues with letting go of control or worrying too much? How do you handle it? I would love to hear your ideas because I need help...

No comments:

Post a Comment