Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Great Pinterest Challenge (Round 3)

Recently while my husband was out of town for a visit with his family and a family wedding (work kept me home) I received an invite to Pinterest.  I had heard of it through some of the Blogs I subscribe to but had no idea what it was. 
When I logged in for the first time it was like the Hallelujah Choir was singing in my house - Holy cow, I didn’t know that such a wonderful site existed!!  My hubby being away was actually a blessing in disguise because I spent all of my free time looking, pinning, and lusting after all of the wonderful ideas!! 
One of the ideas that I pinned was this from Amanda at Imperfectly Beautiful:


And my brain started trying to break it down from there.  I knew that I wanted to make a belated wedding gift for my cousin-in-law whose wedding I was missing and this would be perfect. 

My first attempt at a scrapbooking type craft was a few months ago when I made Graduation Announcements for my son’s graduation from college (yep – proud Mama!)  I loved how they had turned out and I thought I could use the same type of idea to make this.
I made a trip to Goodwill and found a frame that seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. 

Then I went to Hobby Lobby and they were having a sale on scrapbooking supplies – Score!  I spent forever in there (seriously – I love that store!)  I eventually found some scrapbook paper that I thought would work.  I really wanted to find some type of stick on letters but nothing was catching my eye so I went on home with my purchases – secretly wishing I had some type of cutting machine.  Since I didn’t, I decided I would get on the computer and hunt down a font to use from one of the free websites online. 
After downloading the fonts I found to my computer, I used PowerPoint to try several variations to see how they looked and finally decided on the one to use and the size that I wanted.  I used regular copy paper first to print out the design and see how it looked and then I used the 8 ½ x 11 scrapbook paper that I bought to use in my laser printer to print out the final product.  Next I cut several pieces of different scrapbook paper and began to layer the pieces together using glue dots.  Easy Peasy!!

To finish it off, I added two little button embellishments – one on each side of the marriage date – just to give it a little something extra.

This is how it turned out:

They were married on October 8th and on one of the handouts from the wedding that my hubby brought home the happy couple had used the infinity symbol instead of the number 8.  I loved it and thought it would add something special to their gift if I used it too.
Thank you so much for stopping by and looking at my project.  I enjoyed making it and have so many ideas of ways that I can do it differently.  So many possibilities - so little time (especially when I need to make time to browse for my ideas on Pinterest)!!

Be blessed!
Kelley

P.S.  I am entering this idea in the Great Pinterest Challenge (Round 3) - linking up with Rebecca at Better Life Bags - she is so inspiring!!  Be sure to check her out!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm the first follower of your blog!

    I love the project, especially the button touches! Great job Kelley!
    We miss you guys so much too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelley,

    This is awesome! You are inspiring me!!!

    ReplyDelete