Thursday, July 19, 2012

Closet Copy Cat: Summer Night Out

I follow some wonderful blogs and Kelley (yep - she is an *E-Y* too) from The Grant Life asked the ladies from Ma Nouvelle Mode to help us shop our closets for inspiration!

Here's how it works...  On Sundays, anyone that signs up (go here to sign up) will receive an e-mail that has pictures of the outfits and hairstyles we are supposed to try to copy.  They did their first installment last week and I decided to join in on the fun.  Now I have some serious body issues (well if you consider that I hate my body - yep all of it - a serious issue) so I was a little hesitant to do this but decided to force myself. 

This weeks inspiration is Summer Night Out.  Meet Natalia - isn't she gorgeous? 


Our mission this week was to mix a flowy skirt with a bright top and wedges.  This is my version of Natalia's outfit:
Gee I don't look uncomfortable at all do I?  I hate having my picture taken!!  Even though I didn't have a bright top to match, I think I did okay.  Everything that I am wearing has been in my closet forever - except the belt - I just picked that up from the sale rack at J.C. Penney last month.  I think I have wore the skirt twice since I bought it (in 2007) but I like how this looks so I know it will become a go-to outfit for work this summer.

The second part of the challenge was big curls and bright eyes.  Natalia's version:


I just have to stop right here and admit the following - I always wear my hair one of two ways - down and wavy or in a ponytail so this part was easy, I really didn't do anything differently.  And I never wear make-up other than mascara so I didn't do the bright eyes part of the challenge either.  Yep, so I semi-failed the mission or I can look at it optimistically - and say that I put "My Own Spin" on it.

So here are my hair close-ups - I did add a pretty barrette to pull the hair back a bit - does that count?



All in all I think this turned out okay.  I am wearing clothes that have been sitting in my closet for 5+ years and I have a new outfit for work.  I am looking forward to Sunday's e-mail to see what my next challenge is.

Have a great week!


Linking up with the Grant Life

the Grant life

8 comments:

  1. You are beautiful! I love the outfit!

    I just bought the book "The 5 minute Face" by Carmindy and it is amazing! I've always dreaded putting on makeup, and I was never taught as a child. I'm LOVING the book and her simple step by step instructions. I feel like my attitude toward makeup and my daily routine has changed. Seriously, 5 minutes and I feel great. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! I love Carmindy - she's from What Not to Wear right? I used to wear make-up all the time but when my skin started breaking out and becoming so sensitive I just stopped wearing it.

      Delete
  2. I think you look fabulous! I am so excited and encouraged that you decided to join in. It is so fun to see people take a new look at their closets and create new looks. I also have NO IDEA what you're talking about, your body is great! Let me tell you, it's all about the confidence, lady!! Just own it because you look great. Thanks so much for joining and I am looking forward to seeing some fun outfits in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for helping to inspire me! I am definitely going to be working on my confidence - that is one of the reasons that I signed up - forcing myself to get outside my safe little box!

      Delete
  3. Kelley! This is sooo awesome! Im giddy with excitement over here.. I love your outfit! So super cute! And thats awesome that you have a new outfit for work! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you came up with this idea - I am looking forward to the next challenge. It is fun to see what others come up with!

      Delete
  4. Aww! I love your outfit. I had the same thought and used my outfit for work too! You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I stopped by your blog too and really love your outfit - the blue and the stripes are great!

      Delete