Friday, January 13, 2012

Another Wedding Gift

The very first post for my blog showed how I made a Family Name picture as a wedding gift for a cousin. I “needed” a blog in order to enter MY CREATION  {creepy Frankenstein voice} in a Pinterest challenge contest. I did not win the challenge - I know, I was shocked too - but I am trying hard to move on! Hee, hee!! The good thing that came out of the experience though, was that I realized that I could share my thoughts, ideas, how-to’s, etc… with anyone that happened to find my little blog. I have done a few posts since then and hope to do a lot more in 2012.

Which brings me to this post… In November, we received another wedding invitation and since I had been pinning craft ideas like a crazy-woman, I decided to go to my boards and find something to make that I was positive this cousin and his new bride could not live without!

I decided to do a monogram initial this time and make coasters and trivets to match.

The inspiration started with this picture:




I initially bought the glass tiles to use but decided they were too heavy and I was afraid the picture would fall off the wall and break. I had purchased some scrapbook paper to use for the coasters so just used a piece of the scrapbook paper for the background instead. I painted the letter black and hot glued it to the glass in the frame. It seemed to work great but a few days later when I looked at it again, the glass was broke. I am not sure if the hot glue caused it to break or if my crazy cats pounced on it and broke it. I ended up taking all of the glass out of the frame and hot gluing the letter directly to the scrapbook paper. (In order to ensure the weight of the letter didn’t pull the paper out of the frame, I used spray adhesive to attach the paper to the cardboard in the frame.) I ended up liking it a lot better without the glass!



I tried to carry the theme to the coasters.  I mod-podged the scrapbook paper to the 4 inch tiles I had picked up at Lowe’s and while it dried I used my Slice Machine to cut out the initial.  I mod-podged the initial on top of the scrapbook paper and once it was dry I spray painted them with clear acrylic.  I then cut pieces of felt for the bottom and hot glued them on.














For the trivets, I used 6 inch tiles and just used the scrapbook paper with no initial (and of course I forgot to take a picture of those!)

All in all I think they all turned out great and I truly hope they liked them.  We received a thank you card in the mail yesterday that said, “Thank you much for the lovely wedding gift.”

I always read WAY TOO MUCH into what people really mean (yep, I have issues!).  I'm sure they meant it just as it sounds, a sincere thank you for the gift.  The fact that they did not specify what the gift was exactly could mean that they just wrote the same thing to everyone that they received a wedding gift from.  Or it could mean that they have no clue what the coasters, trivets, etc… actually were.  Maybe I should stop thinking that people will love my handmade gifts and go buy a toaster instead for the next wedding!!?

Am I the only one that has anxiety about my crafting abilities?  I’d love to hear from you!

Be Blessed!

Kelley

1 comment:

  1. No, you're not the only one with those anxieties! I always ask people over and over if they really like what I made, which I'm sure they find annoying. Lol.
    And I would appreciate a hand crafted gift (especially one as awesome as yours) over a store bought gift any day. It shows that you care about that person to put such time & effort into the gift.
    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete